Top 5 risk factors for sudden heart failure in student athletes:
1. Family history of sudden death.
2. Fainting or family history of fainting.
3. Family history of arrhythmias or heart muscle disease.
4. Participation in sports (particularly sports that require a burst of activity like basketball, hockey and football).
5. Athlete has gone through puberty (an athlete’s body is stronger at this point and has power during the burst of activity).
Please consider joining us in a live chat tomorrow, April 9th 2013 at 7pm EST if you have a young athlete that you care for. Family is the most important thing in the world, so if we can help one person with this chat then we’ve made a huge difference!